Monday, July 11, 2011

The Idle Life.


We just got home from a week at Aylen Lake in Ontario Canada. Gabriela’s middle name is Aylen if that tells you anything. It is my favorite place in the world. Our busy lives just stop and time stands still. No email, television, x-box or blackberries. It is as though we have traveled back in time. We pass the days down at the dock, swimming, sunning, reading or taking the kayak out for a spin. There are no errands to run, no pressing appointments and no dings interrupting dinner.

Dinner is one of my favorite times of day. The whole family gathers around our large round table. The food is always delicious, maybe more so because we are so hungry from being outside all day and my mom is a wonderful chef. We just talk, eat and drink a little wine. Sometimes more than a little. Once dinner is finished, we have to wash dishes the old fashioned way. Sometimes it’s not so bad, the conversation is good and it’s almost enjoyable to scrub away.

After dinner, we will sit around and play cards. Usually contract rummy. Always contract rummy.  Once the night is over, we climb into bed. It is freezing cold compared to the warm days and feels so good to snuggle under the covers. I confess, I even pulled Gabriela out of her cold crib so she could snuggle between Jered and I. She is the best snuggler. This year, we stayed in Mom and Dad’s room so we could have easy access to Gabriela’s pack and play for naps. The sunrise is early, around 6am and is so bright it woke me up every morning. I didn’t complain though. Watching the sunrise over the lake first thing in the morning just makes me want to praise God for His wonderful creation. I would crawl back under the covers and go back to sleep. Once I woke up for good, I grab a cup of coffee, a baby and some toys. Down at the dock mom and dad are doing their devotions. Ela sits on the dock in the warm sun and plays. There is no rushing to get dressed and everyone fed so I get to work. It is just peace and relaxation. No schedules, no plans. My kind of vacation.

To me Aylen is more than a vacation, it is a way of life. It reminds to make my life simple. To make sure I leave room on our calendar just to be. I want Ela to remember her childhood as tea parties, waterlogged days from swimming all day, buzzy worms and a lot of laugher. We need time to just be a family and every summer Alyen reminds me to schedule in more time to do absolutely nothing. 

2 comments:

  1. Just dreamy. So glad you guys had such a great time! Can't wait to see you guys again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom and I just read this entry and we loved it. It's wonderful to see Aylen through your eyes and it makes me very grateful to be here...even though I miss you guys so much!! I love you!
    -Cate

    ReplyDelete