Monday, February 11, 2013

Christmas Hearts


I wrote this back before Christmas but never got around to publishing it. This whole two kid thing is a little hard on my blogs. I love it though!!! Now that things are calming down (ha!) I want to post more. 




I have somewhat mastered going shopping with both girls but it never fails to totally stress me out and totally overwhelm me. Someone is usually crying or needs something and it never fails Piper wants to nurse again as we are walking out. 

 Today I decided to run to Toys R Us to grab Ela's last minute gifts. I've been putting this off because I mean who wants to go near the mall or a toy store this close to Christmas? Per the norm Piper screamed the whole way there. When we were picking up my coffee (no time to brew!) the barista at Starbucks asked if she cried all the time in the car. I said yes and he seemed pretty happy with the fact there were no babies in his life. Yesterday the barista at Starbucks gave me my drink for free because I pulled up with a handful of diapers, a screaming baby, no wallet and a look if total despair . ( Don't judge my Starbucks habit I've been too busy giving life abs nourishment to a baby to make coffee in the morning if I need to bake a quick exit . And the power was off this morning. )

Today is freezing and the wind was whipping around. I got us to the store and into the store. I also managed to load a large toy kitchen box into my cart while balancing a baby in a sling. The bad thing was, I couldnt see over or around the box and the store was getting pretty crowded. After nearly taking out one of Santa's grumpy elfs (she was tiny, covered in red and green glitter and was below my eye level) I made it through the checkout. But there was no one to help me to the car. So I am balancing a huge box and a 37 pound  toddler in the cart and trying to use my chin to keep Piper covered up from the wind in the sling. The wind rips the cart towards a car as Ela rips off Piper's blanket. The blanket goes flying through the air as I narrowly miss the car but not amused looks from strangers. Thanks for the help guys! I get to the car and get Ela in her carseat and out of the freezing 40 degree Georgia winter wind. Now it's time to tackle the box while keeping Piper covered up, holding her blanket up with my chin. I would like to thank the gentleman watching from the warmth of his car right beside me for just looking very amused at my struggles and for not even offering to help. 




After loading up the car I climb in the backseat to Piper buckled in. I shut and lock the doors with my keyless entry. Can't be too safe these says you know. I always sit in the backseat, lock the door and then take Piper out of the sling in a warm car. We have the childlock on Ela's door but not the other door. I get Piper settled in and by that I mean she is screaming. I am rushing to get going because she usually quiets doen once the car is moving. I tried to open the door but it wouldnt open. I pushed harder and harder.  I guess it the childlock turned itself on because I was sure stuck. Piper was still screaming and Ela is yelling "Mommy, seatbelt put on your seatbelt!!!" And the door won't budge. There is zero room to climb over the infant seat and over the driver's seat. Especially wearing skinny jeans and knee high boots. As I sit there and thinking about my options I realize unless I want to spend the whole day sitting there trying to get a stranger to open my door I have no choice. I also haven't done yoga or anything in a while and am still pretty sore from my C-Section but I have to get home before I loose my mind. I loop one leg over the infant seat and throw my butt into the drivers seat with both legs sprawled in the air, one over the steering wheel. I'm sure the man beside me really enjoyed his entertainment while he waited. I finically got my long booted legs under the wheel and put on my sunglasses, head held high I burst out laughing. When I backed out the man who offered no help decided to move his car  forward to get out of my way even though I was no where near hitting him while I backed out. Pretty sure he was questioning my sanity.  Piper screamed the whole way home and Ela sang the three lines of jingle bells she knows loudly and didn't stop. My head was pounding and the driver in front of me was going ten under the speed limit (she didn't have two kids in her backseat clearly!). 


I was not feeling very thankful at all, okay maybe downright irritated and upset, when I passed several State Troopers waiting for the funeral procession of a police officer killed while on duty. I thought of his parents and friends, the parents of the kids in Connecticut and my friends and family who have lost loved ones and won't be spending Christmas with them. I started crying, my heart aching for these losses. I thanked Jesus for my two precious loud, drive me crazy girls and actually enjoyed hearing Piper scream the rest of the way home. Ok, maybe enjoy is too strong a word but I was thankful that my girls are alive and healthily and able to drive me crazy. We have been abundantly blessed and I am beyond  thankful. 




I pray for the families who have lost their family, especially at Christmas and pray God's protection over my family. 

"For He has sent His angels to watch over you." 

Merry Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment